Welcome to The Dolphin, Hursley
The Dolphin dates from the 16th Century, and was
built around 1540-1560.
It was reputedly built using the timbers from an early HMS Dolphin,
hence the name of the inn.
(The name HMS Dolphin has been used many
times by the Navy, and the current one is a shore establishment in
There were originally only three chimneys, but over the years another
four were added as the building grew in size.
There used to be stables
and a barn for the horses and carriages of travellers, and until the
1950's a blacksmith occupied the building nearest the car park entrance.
There were also workshops, and a smallholding at the rear, an area now
occupied by houses.
Like most of the village, The Dolphin used to belong to the Hursley
Estate, until 1953 when it was sold to Strongs Brewery of Romsey. Since
then, the smallholding has been sold, and the inn acquired by Whitbread
Brewery when they bought Strongs.
The Dolphin is now a leasehold tenancy with Enterprise Inns.
More of Hursley's history can be
found by clicking on the following websites.
Hursley at Wikipedia
John Bull's Highlights of Hursley History
John Keble's Parishes - A History of Hursley & Otterbourne
Telephone 01962 775209 - Fax 01962 775151